Sunday, March 18, 2012

Little Lessons Everywhere

Back to my blog home page: http://travelingotr.blogspot.com

I've never been one to take sedentary breaks.

I've been spending 'tween-assignments time gardening on the farm with my folks, visiting friends and cycling with my sisters (we've created a team and are training for the MS 150 in September to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.)

Yesterday, as I was helping mom do some cleaning, I ran across a little booklet my aunt had sent her. It was hidden between some Martha Stewart cooking magazines:

98 Things A Woman Should Do in Her Lifetime by Rebekah Shardy.



I really loved 89 and 90...

89: Eschew a job for a career.

90: Eschew a career for a life.

The traveling gig has allowed me to do just that. I have always known this is my calling. However, my life shifted when I left permanent employment and hit the road. "Traveling" has allowed me to live a fuller life and to enjoy more people and places than I had imagined.

I hope each of you today take a moment to think about life. Is this life the one you want? If it is, BRAVO. If it isn't, what small steps can you take to make it what you envisioned it to be?

It's never too late!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading your blog! It's been informative and motivational! I'm trying to take that step of leaving a permanent job to start traveling. I'm not much of a risk taker, but I contacted medtravelers so that's a start. I'm on the east coast and I would like to take it slow. Meaning only going a few hrs from home and going from there Perhaps someday I will be comfortable and confident enough to travel to CA! I see you've enjoyed working w med travelers, if an assignment posts for 13 weeks, is it possible to reduce it to 6-8 weeks? I'm just curious how flexible this company is. Maybe I should speak with Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, definitely contact Tony! They do at times have shorter assignments. It's a great idea to dip your toe in close to home. Ask lots of questions when you interview with the building to make sure you have a fit and follow your gut! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete