Thursday, March 29, 2012

Greetings, Again, and Here's to Grandma Layton

Back to my blog home page: http://travelingotr.blogspot.com

I apologize for not writing. It's not that I haven't thought of writing; in fact, I must have said at least once a day, "Now that would be a good blog topic!"

My "break" between assignments was not quite a break. I'm not complaining; I enjoyed every minute, even the 2,000+ mile drive with my very caring brother. I enjoyed visiting most of my immediate family.  I spent almost a week with mom (thank you!) stripping paint off 83 year old window trim in "the Nest" I am renovating (with twinnie). For those of you who like to renovate, I find a heat gun does a nice, quick job over chemical stripper.


I've had quite a few people say to me, "Why would you leave California for Kansas?"

1) My family is within driving distance, and I love them!! If they have asked me to stay closer for a bit, I have the ability to do that.
2) There are little gifts to being somewhere new and (yes) interesting; after all,
3) Every place can  be interesting! It's all in your mindset.

Speaking of little gifts, I have to share this bit of something interesting.

(raise your hand if you know of this amazing lady)

Grandma Layton!

She lived near where I am assigned.  I learned about her during my 12- week psychosocial clinical in OT school. If you haven't encountered her, she is someone new and admirable from which to learn. Check her out:  http://www.elizabethlayton.com/

Elizabeth "Grandma" Layton was a lady who battled an adulthood of depression until she took a contour drawing class at her local college (at the age of 68!) Contour drawing literally means "drawing the outline."

She learned to draw herself using a "blind" technique by looking in a mirror and drawing the outline of herself without looking at the paper much. She branched out to express her opinions about social issues as she did her self-portraits.

For example:


or

Tender Loving Care (for the dying)

...and she healed herself through her art.   What an amazing and inspiring woman. Her works are found in over 200 museums.

One of my favorite Grandma Layton pieces is a drawing of her representation of someone who has had a stroke. This picture is worth a thousand words.


She drew many pieces, and you can check them out on her website. I encourage you to read about her. She is a great example of someone who found a way of coping with her illness and inspiring people along her path.


No comments:

Post a Comment