Monday, December 26, 2011

The Importance of Sleep!

Back to my blog home page: http://travelingotr.blogspot.com

I went back to work today utterly exhausted. I had great rest all weekend, and last night, it all fell to pieces.

I went into work with a sore neck and a bad attitude.

I have to be honest! It happens once in a blue moon.



In fact, by early afternoon, I felt so sleep deprived that I headed 4 blocks west to my little studio, and I fell deeply asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. I woke up snoring 45 minutes later, (which I only do if I am exhausted!) and on the hour mark, I had clocked back in to work.

I've never done this in 16 years of being a therapist!

You now what?  I finished the day with more energy, a brighter affect and better attitude than ever!


According to soundsleep.org, the body needs sleep:

  • for healthy cell growth and for cell and tissue repair.
  • to enable the immune system to function effectively.
  • to enable the brain to encode and store recently received information. REM sleep activates the parts of the brain that deal with learning, and
  • to allow neurons to regenerate and repair during sleep so that our bodies can continue to function as effectively as possible both physically and mentally.
According to wikipedia, sleep deprivation can cause a laundry list of general problems:
That's not even going over the effects of brain and cognitive function, the effects on the healing process, and impairment of ability and other processes!
Crazy, huh?

I knew I was not being patient, encouraging and positive today. I had to stop it in midstream. The only way I knew was to get some rest.

I'm glad I did!

It also made me think about what my patients tell me when they say,

"I had a terrible night sleep!
I don't think I can work right now."

After last night, I'm much more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment