Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Stocking Project

Back to my blog home page: http://travelingotr.blogspot.com

Wanted to share a project I did this weekend that I think would be great in the future for your patients to assist with (next year....this is a little last minute!)....

I needed 2 stockings for friends' gifts, and I decided to test how crafty I could get.

I went to the local hospice thrift store that has nice clothing, and I found a great quality red wool vest for $3.


I figured out a pattern that would fit both sides and made the initial cuts.


I kept the buttons and the collar. One of my friends is a rightie and her roommate is a leftie. I thought the direction of the stockings fit them perfectly! Check out how the direction of the decorative seams in the vest fit the stocking perfectly...

Next, I picked out an antique shade of green, and I started a quilting stitch around the stocking. The great thing about this is that it doesn't have to be precise!

Next, I reinforced it with a running horizontal stitch.


Afterwards, I split the collar of the vest and created a cuff on the top of the stocking (it's a bit difficult to see what it really looks like). I forgot to take a photo at that point.

Lastly, I sewed the rest of the buttons on the pocket flap.

Voila!


Two Christmas stockings for under $4.

This will be on my list to try with patients next year! They may or may not be able to do the stitching, but think of all the things you can assess while doing a project like this:
  • sequencing
  • problem solving
  • organizational planning
  • sitting balance
  • UE strength
  • fine motor coordination
  • activity tolerance
  • reminiscing/remote memory
Don't hesitate to share your projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment