Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bathing Whimsy

Back to my blog home page: http://travelingotr.blogspot.com

The patient I wrote about yesterday?

Eva looked like a different person today. Honestly, I was dumbfounded at how much she had improved since yesterday. I have to give credit where credit is due - I have to believe divine intervention played a part. It was too much of a turnaround to be chance or meds or anything other than what it was.

Anyway, this morning I introduced Eva to a leg lifter. It's used primarily following hip surgeries to help lift the leg when you're getting in and out of bed.


Eva sat on the edge of the bed without assistance and began a bed bath with a pan of soapy warm water. She did great! Of course, she couldn't reach her feet (gotta be careful about bending!). I assisted, and she did the rest.

As she worked her way toward the middle of her body, she started to tell me a story.

"When I was a little girl, my mom used to say,

Wash down as far as possible,

then wash possible."

I paused a second before it sunk in. Then I began to laugh.

I had never heard that before! What a kick! That was my whimsy for the day. I learn something new every day, and today that was it. A new description for that part of the body.

When I told Stacie, the COTA, she had heard it before. In fact, she could add to the story. One of her patients (this must be a Kansas thing) had told her that Loretta Lynn had sung about this....

Of course, I tried in vain to find the song to include it in the post, but no luck.

Do any of you know more of the story? Send it if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment